LIME & PEPPER TOFU TACOS
Serves: 4 | Prep Time: 10 mins | Cook Time 20 mins
> 1 block tofu - firm
> 2 limes - juiced
> 2 tablespoons soy sauce
> 2 tablespoons kecap manis
> 3 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
> 3 tablespoons corn flour
> 3 tablespoons oil of choice (we used peanut)
> 2 spring onion shoots finely cut -white, green parts
> 5 garlic cloves - minced
> Pinch of salt
> 2 tablespoons caster sugar - alternative: honey
> 3 teaspoons ground black pepper - adjust to taste
> 1 packet store bought cabbage slaw
> 2 baby cucumbers - thinly sliced
> 1 packet corn tortillas - cooked as per instructions
> Aioli to serve - normal or vegan variety
1. Crumble tofu into small bite size pieces and lay out between 2 sheets of paper towel for 30 minutes – replace paper towel when soaked. This process will make the tofu extra crispy.
2. Transfer tofu to a bowl and add a good pinch of salt evenly over the tofu. Add corn flour and coat until all tofu is coated in corn flour.
3. Heat a fry pan or wok to a medium high heat and add 2 tbl oil.
4. Once pan is hot add tofu and cook until crispy stirring consistently – around 5 minutes.
5. Once crispy transfer to a bowl. Add the remainder 1 tbl oil to the pan and fry off garlic and spring onions for 1 minute.
6. Reduce heat down to low and add sesame seeds, pepper, soy sauce, sugar and kecap manis. If the sauce is reducing too quickly take the pan off the heat and add a dash of water.
7. Return tofu to the pan and add lime juice to finish cook until tofu is well coated. Add more salt, sugar or pepper to taste.
8. Serve on warm tortilla with slaw, sliced cucumber, tofu and aioli.