Pineapple & Cherry Strudel
150g fresh Pineapple diced
200g Cherries pitted and halved
50 g Desiccated coconut
4 tbl caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla paste or essence
2 tbl plain flour
1 tsp cinnamon
1 sheet Frozen Puff pastry
Raw sugar - to sprinkle on top Icing sugar
1. Pre-heat oven to 200 degrees C.
2. To make the filling, mix together pineapple, cherries and vanilla.
3. In a separate bowl, combine coconut, flour, sugar, cinnamon and salt. Then add to the fruit mixture and toss so everything in evenly coated.
4. Take the pastry sheet out of the freezer and place on the tray which you intend on baking it on. Then pile the mixture in the middle of the pastry vertically leaving about 10cm on either side so we can braid the strudel.
5. Once the pastry has softened slightly, cut 2cm strips symmetrically on either side of the mixture. Start the braid by grabbing the first strip closest to you and place it over the mixture on an angle, take the strip on the other side and cross it over the first one. Repeat this for the remaining strips until you get to the end.
6. Alternatively if you don’t wish to braid you can roll the mixture up in the pastry and simply cut slits about 2 inches apart once it is on the baking tray. Sprinkle raw sugar on top.
7. Bake strudel for about 30 minutes or until flakey and golden brown – keeping an eye on it as the sugar on top can burn if its over cooked.
8. Serve while still warm with a good scoop of ice cream.