Savoury Sweet Potato Crumble
4 medium sweet potatoes thinly sliced (thinner the better)
1 medium brown onion diced
4 garlic cloves chopped
1/2 cups water
1 chicken stock cube
60g raw pecans roughly chopped
40g dried cranberries
100g parmesan or strong aged cheddar
½ cup panko crumbs
2 tbl olive oil
a good handful of chopped fresh rosemary (sage works as well)
salt and pepper
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees C.
2. In a small saucepan add cream, water, stock cube, onion and garlic and bring to the boil. Add salt and pepper to taste.
3. In a square baking dish (mine is about 31cm x 31cm) layer the sweet thins like you would a potato bake.
4. Pour the boiled cream mixture over the sweet potatoes, making sure the onion is evenly distributed over the top. Cover with aluminum foil and bake in the oven until the sweet potato is cooked through – around 45 minutes. If there is a lot of excess fluid in your potatoes when you pull them out you can bake them uncovered to evaporate some liquid – it can depend on the moisture of the sweet potato.
5. To make the crumble top, in a medium bowl mix together pecans, cranberries, cheese, panko crumbs, rosemary a pinch of salt and pepper and olive oil. Give it a good stir so the panko is coated in oil.
6. Once the potato is cooked take out of the oven and top with the crumble place back in the oven uncovered and cook for a further 10 minutes or until the crumble is brown. Serve while still warm.